Tuesday, November 22, 2005

And I Wonder...

There are so many people that I know who are depressed or struggle with depression.

I am one of those persons who has had to get on a mild anti-depressant in order to help correct my brain chemistry. I must say, the medication is helping greatly in this area as well as with my migraines that I also struggle with. So, I have been able to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I am one of those who always felt (and been told) that one was weak if one had to go on meds for psycho stuff. I was always afraid to believe that I was not a strong person and that I could be thought of as crazy. Unfortunately, it is a universal stigma, but it has begun to be less of one as the years go by and more and more folks are struggling with brain diseases.

Mental illness is a rampant evil among the homeless. And what a horrible disease for them it is. There is just not enough funding to help the homeless, to help the parents of a teen or to help a family with a parent afflicted with mental illness.

Unfortunately, it would take some one, in a higher government position, who has a family member, who has mental illness, before any attention or money would be affective with the growing rate of psychological and psychotic illnesses.

It is always the children, the poor, the ill, the old who suffer the most in the world because they are the most vulnerable and the least able to fight for themselves.

What the hell is matter with our country, our pharmaceutical companies, our well-to-do neighbors and government-held seatings that are not doing all that they can for the most vulnerable? Unfortunately, it won't ever be high on any agenda, as long as those in power whose family members or themselves are not vulnerable and/or in need of such assistance by their own government.

And I wonder... What will I do to help make a difference in this arena?

No comments: