Tuesday, November 22, 2005

People's Lives...

I've been looking forward to the holidays on one hand, yet dreading it on the other.

The holidays are my most favorite time of year. Actually, Winter is my most favorite time of year. I just love the quietness of the world, the nakedness of the trees, the sound of all that rain, the cold, cold air and bundling up with blankets and a good book.

But this holiday season there is a burden of helplessness that I have been having since the Hurricanes, the unnecessary and ongoing war that we are still a part of and the continued realization of so many who go without every day.

But this season brings up the close to home thing - those who have suffered due to Katrina and Wilma and they are mostly those who have little or no money or possessions.

I pray that these families will be able to find some joy and peace in their lives as they continue to struggle to return to the normality of their lives, and get through this holiday season. I pray that money, materials, jobs and resources continue to come their way in order to find a way to return to some sense of normalcy. And that many are able to find a place to celebrate the holidays with other folks or families, and hope that they are glad to be alive.

I just wish I had gads of money that I would not have to worry how much I spent on those who need it. I so wish I could be the fairy god-mother who waves her wand and all the things, the resources, the food, the medication, the housing, the toys, the shelter these folks could ever need would be given unto them freely.

I wish I could be the one who would stop the war right now and let all the men and women soldiers return to their respective homeland and just be with family and friends. Perhaps to celebrate whatever could be worth celebrating after seeing so much death and destruction.

It is people's lives that I hold so compassionately within me. It is people's lives whom I know nothing of them. It is people's lives that show me how I am truly fortunate in so many, many ways.

It is people's lives who are caught between countries at war and an earthquake aftermath in which they must sustain a harsh upcoming winter.

It is people's lives we must never forget and take for granted the things that we are given and the lives that we are so fortunate to lead.

The holidays are always about giving... Remembering others in need... Sharing what one has oodles of... And trying not to feel guilty for what we do have.

But ultimately, we must understand and place ourselves in the shoes of others so that we may be able to live humbly and without ignorance.

No comments: