Friday, November 11, 2005

How Lucky Are We...

I know I have nothing to complain about in life. Though I know there are days that I find fault in something and wonder why. And then I snap out of it and laugh at my own absurdity!

But then I am always reminded of how fortunate, lucky and wealthy Michael and I are in comparison to so many who strive just to make it through one day, and the next and the next.

One of the American Dream is to own one's home. Which is a homestead, piece of land with a building in place, an abode, a castle, the dream home, the place where one sets roots and traditions, etc.

For many in the American Dream, we are able to 'shop' for this new place we will call home. But in our case, that did not happen and I suppose, in my own selfish ways, wish that is the one thing we had been able to do. But it didn't and I should just shush about it all righty!

We were very fortunate to have been able to rent the home, we now own, two years prior to finally being able to purchase it from the brother and sister who owned it.
The mind set of renting and owning are just so different. When the paperwork went through that said we were now proud owners of 1079 Sierra Vista Way, all I could think of was this is going to be a money pit and we didn't get to go shopping...wah, wah, wah...

It's been over a year since we've owned it and all the money in the world to call it our own. But when you look at the various properties for sale, the price of homes, and the little land included, I have nothing to complain about.

We sit on a third of an acre, albeit next to Hwy 99, but are only three blocks from Bidwell Park at One Mile, and near downtown and the freeway. So, it's all good.

And indeed it is. We are currently in the process of refinancing so that we can pay off debt and have some things done to the house like new windows and hopefully a real A/C system. Obviously it will add to the value of the home if/when we should ever try to sell it.

So far the house has gone up in value quite a bit. We paid 259.5 and it is valued at 320. So the math is good. Hopefully when we decide to sell, the market will still be good and the house will be worth soooo much more. But one never knows...

And the other thing we are in the early stages of choosing paint colors for the living room, looking to put crown molding on the wall and possibly encase the fireplace. So far this is the only room we are revamping at this time. I hope to do more soon after the living room is done.

So all in all there is definitely nothing to complain about but life just wouldn't be interesting enough if I didn't complain a little bit, right?!

So when the living room gets done, I will be sure to have photos posted.

1 comment:

Grace said...

That is great Kim! I know what you mean. I was just meditating today about the contentedness that comes from a having enough and nothing more.

"God give us enough so that we will not have to steal but not too much so that we forget you." (paraphrased quote from someone I can't remember.)